Wednesday 20 July 2016

New Music: Holly Macve - Corner Of My Mind (Video)


Having returned from the wonderful Latitude Festival (where Christine & The Queens mesmerised me with one of my favourite performances of the year, a play which featured just 2 actors talking about their relationship in a bedroom was one of the most thought provoking and interesting things I’ve seen on stage and where Louis Theroux dad-dancing in a sweltering hot film tent was a major highlight out of many) inevitably there were some acts on the bill that I had to miss due to line up clashes. One of those was Holly Macve, who played in the beautifully fern lined and tree shaded surroundings of the Sunrise Arena, although thankfully I’ve already manged to catch her twice this year, once solo at Great Escape Festival in Brighton, the other with a full band at her own show at St Pancras Old Church in London.

Holly’s new single, Corner Of My Mind will be familiar to anyone who has seen her live. With the sparse noir country acoustic instrumentation providing the backdrop to Holly’s haunting tones that are both mournfully sad and beautifully haunting plus dark lyrics that speak of violence, misery, mistakes and fatherhood rejection it’s powerful contemplative stuff. There’s an album on its way via Bella Union as well. Take a listen below.

Holly Macve - Corner Of My Mind (Video)


No comments: